Nov 2017 - Present
- Designed and implemented the move from EC2 instances for all services to a container orchestrated system. This migration allowed us to better utilized EC2 resources reducing our EC2 spend by 50% with a cost savings of over $500,000 a year.
- Reviewed and redesigned the terraform structure to use a modular approach that could be versioned and automated.
- Assessed the networking in AWS, and implemented changes to restructure the network to move instances into private subnets.
- Migrated to a three AWS account layout to give developers more access and to improve security for Protected Health Information.
- Brought the remaining AWS infrastructure and Github repositories under control of terraform.
- Documented best practices for developers around Docker and Kubernetes. Gave introductory training to help transition them.
Dec 2016 - Nov 2017
- Creation of a service to manage 100’s of Kubernetes clusters and create new clusters on demand.
- Implemented continued deployment on Kubernetes with Gitlab and Helm to version and test artifacts, with promotion on tagging.
- Created a CLI to allow for helm charts to be installed in a single command in parallel along with support for automatic updates.
- Led infrastructure level monitoring and metrics to ensure alerting and debugging capabilities on system faults.
Move, Inc. (Realtor.com)
May 2014 - Dec 2016
Senior Software Engineer
- Created and implemented a strategy to move to Kubernetes from static EC2 infrastructure.
- Created a robust, resilient and distributed scheduler with locks, tasks, and alerts.
- Major overhaul from static logging to logging backed by ElasticSearch ELK stack.
- Created extensive monitoring and failure detection suite for early warning of system failures using Sensu.
- Led training sessions on technologies such as Kubernetes, Kibana, Grafana, ElasticSearch, InfluxDB.
Booz Allen Hamilton
Oct 2011 - May 2014
- Used Puppet to setup developer workstations for onboarding. Reducing onboarding from 2 weeks to 4 hours.
- Reduced infrastructure setup time from 6 days to 25 minutes using Puppet and Fabric.
- Used Spring, Apache Camel, and OracleAQ to implement a multithreaded, redundant biometric system.
- Decompiled a library with a GUI to use it as a command-line tool.
TEKSystems consulting for Lockheed Martin
Sept 2010 - Oct 2011
- Made enhancements to a legacy Swing application used by the FBI gun check NICS program
Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC)
Jan 2008-Sept 2010
- Created a biometric prototype system using Oracle Aqualogic Enterprise Service Bus and Business Process Modeler(BPM) using J2EE, SOAP, and XSLT along with JNI for low-level communication and implemented EFTS/EBTS FBI mappings to NIEM XML.
Advanced Acoustic Concepts.
June 2006-Jan 2008
- Designed Java based web services to interact with Flash clients for product enhancements.
West Virginia University
B.S. in Computer Science
West Virginia University
M.S. in Software Engineering