Yield: 6 servings
- Rating: ★★★★
- 2 lbs green cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 8 oz tomato paste
- 28 oz whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup rice, washed and rinsed well
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried mint
- 1 lemon, juiced
- A handful of chopped parsley
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Chop the cabbage roughly and blanch in boiling water, for about 5-10 minutes. Ensure the water is very salty when blanching.
- Brown and cook ground beer over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes allowing it to brown slightly.
- Add crush whole peeled tomatoes by hand and add, stirring well.
- Season with salt, black pepper, cayenne and dried mint.
- Add in the chopped parsley and chopped and blanched cabbage in the pan. Pour lemon juice over it. Stir well. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Add in rice and 3/4 cup of water, stir and pour into the casserole dish and cover with foil
- Cook for 30-40 minutes until rice is tender.
- Turn oven to broil and broil until the top has some color