- Rating: ★★★
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as desired
- 1 medium clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp crushed red pepper for a zing; More or less to taste
- 28oz can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 2 oz finely grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- Small handful minced flat-leaf parsley leaves
- salt to taste
- In a medium saucepan of boiling salted water, cook penne until just short of al dente, about 1 minute less than the package recommends. When finished drain and keep 1 cup of pasta water.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, combine oil, garlic, and pepper flakes. Cook over medium low heat until garlic is very lightly golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, stir to combine, and bring to a simmer.
- When pasta is ready, transfer it to sauce.
- Add about 1/4 cup pasta water to sauce and increase heat to bring pasta and sauce to a vigorous simmer.
- Cook, stirring and shaking the pan and adding more pasta water as necessary to keep sauce loose, until pasta is perfectly al dente, 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- Continue cooking pasta until sauce thickens and begins to coat noodles, then remove from heat and toss in cheese and parsley, stirring vigorously to incorporate.
- Stir in a drizzle of fresh olive oil, if desired. Season with salt and serve right away, passing more cheese at the table.
More delicious recipes