- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon water
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, minced to paste (1 tablespoon)
- 1 (1-pound) loaf soft Italian bread, halved horizontally
- A soft italian loaf of bread works best. Rustic italian bread tends to be to tough.
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven 450 degrees
- In a medium bowl combine garlic powder and water
- Add 4 tablespoons butter, salt and cayenne to bowl and set aside
- Place remaining 4 tablespoons butter in small bowl and microwave, covered, until melted, about 30 seconds(repeat until melted waiting a few seconds between intervals).
- Stir in garlic and continue to microwave, covered, until mixture is bubbling around edges, about 1 minute, stirring halfway through.
- Transfer garlic-butter mixture to other bowel and whisk together until it forms homogenous loose paste. If fully melted return to fridge and check often.
- Spread cut sides of loaf evenly with butter mixture. Transfer bread, cut side up, to baking sheet covered with foil and oiled. Bake until bread is hot, about 4 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from oven. Flip bread, cut side down, place second rimmed baking sheet on top and gently press. Return sheet to oven, with second baking sheet on top of bread for 5 minutes.
- Rotate baking sheet and put back in for 5ish minutes(checking every couple mins to see when it's crisp and brown)
- Transfer bread to cutting board. Using serrated knife cut into slices.