Yield: 4 –6 servings
- Rating: ★★★★
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless breasts, — split in half
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt — divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cans diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano — (14.5-ounce cans)
- 2 cups water
- 1 pound whole wheat fettuccini pasta — or substitute another long, straight pasta such as spaghetti
- 4 ounces reduced-fat feta cheese — divided
- Finely chopped fresh basil — optional
- In a large pot or Dutch oven with a lid, heat the olive oil over high for 1 minute, then add the chicken breast halves.
- * Sprinkle each side with salt and pepper
- * Cook the chicken on one side for 8 minutes allowing a crust to form. Flip and cook for an additional 5 minutes until cooked.
- * Add the diced tomatoes and water. Stir in the pasta and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Cover and let cook an additional 10 minutes.
- * Remove the lid, stir, then add three-quarters of the feta. Stir once more, then let cook uncovered for 5 additional minutes. Serve warm, sprinkled with the remaining feta cheese and fresh basil.
More delicious recipes